Over 10 years ago Microsoft built an App into Windows Media Center for Netflix, which used a software program called Silverlight for playback & DRM. Microsoft recently announced that they will no longer be supporting this old Netflix app as of 9/2015.
Most freeTVEE users already have an additional Netflix Chrome Web App (the same as 95% of the other streaming apps we built into WMC) on their freeTVEE PC. Some users have been using this Chrome Netflix Web App because they prefer it to the old Microsoft WMC App. The Netflix Chrome Web App will work just like the hundreds of other Chrome Web Apps that we built into your freeTVEE PC. Follow these quick steps to find, test & add the new Netflix App to the top row of WMC for easy access:
- Navigate to the very top row in WMC (Extras), then click Extras Library & find the Netflix Logo organized alphabetically. Hit OK/Enter/Click on this Netflix Web App logo in WMC. If it minimizes WMC & opens a Google Chrome browser to netflix.com then you have a new or recently updated system. Login & prompt Google Chrome to remember your password. Skip to step #4!
- If the above didn’t work & your PC is newer than 3 years old, you can find the Angrybirds app instead of Netflix. Angrybirds has been programmed to run in Chrome for longer so should pull up a google chrome browser automatically. Skip to step #4!
- If steps 1 & 2 didn’t work than you have a very old system that needs a more manual work around. Remember your freeTVEE PC is also a computer with a full web browser! Simply pull up your favorite web browser, type in www.netflix.com in the top navigation area. Next bookmark or make Netflix your homepage so that it shows in the top favorites bar section, so you will always be 1 click away when you open your browser. Remember to login to your Netflix account & click remember login info.
- From the inside the WMC Extras Library you can right-click on any app (including Netflix) & Add To Start Menu (or Remove).
- Remember Web Apps are different and use more of the mouse with clicking on things, although the volume & arrow buttons will still work for some things. If you are planning on doing a lot of streaming I would suggest you get this inexpensive keyboard-it works perfect for WMC & all Chrome apps!
- Find your show on new Netflix Web App, enjoy it & simply hit the Green Button when you are done watching to easily return to WMC.
- Please access the freeTVEE Quick Start Guide (Windows & WMC UI Tips Section will be especially helpful) for more details & helpful info on all things freeTVEE, WMC, Windows & Chrome.
- Netflix also has a help section in case you would like to learn more about your Netflix features. Some advantages of this new Web App are: frequent updates, more visual tiles, separate profiles, parental controls, taste preferences, ratings, more robust search. Here is some additional info on the new Netflix site.
- TIP on My List! If you have a bunch of shows saved on Netflix’s My List, you can access it three ways in netflix itself: 1. From the homepage scroll down to the second row. 2. From the top left hover over “Browse”. 3. Use, bookmark or make your homepage this specific web address http://www.netflix.com/browse/my-list
- Another inexpensive alternative for Streaming Netflix, etc. would be to get a Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Box they work great for a secondary TV room!
As always, we will continue to update this section with any changes or updates to Netflix or anything WMC & freeTVEE PC related.